Friday, December 20, 2013

Lessons from Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison invented a lot of devices that greatly influenced a lot of people around the world. He is credited with a lot of inventions that contributed a great deal to mass communication, and especially telecommunications (Martin and Dyer, p.56). With a lot of patient and effort, Thomas Edison invented the electric light bulb. If Edison had given up as a result of his failure in many attempts, his great ideas would have gone with him to the grave. The story of Edison clearly shows what great determination can do. The closing of one door is the opening of another. This can also be seen in the argument of Edison that he was not discouraged because a discarded wrong attempt was a step forward. It also gave him the direction in finding a better option (Strate et al, p.53).

When I initially joined Santa Monica College, my dream was to transfer to USC and pursue my dream to become a reputable petroleum engineer. I had a dream and a goal of graduating with a petroleum engineering degree from one of the best colleges. In my early years in the college, I did not do quiet well. In fact, I failed most of the subjects. There was nothing worse than to watch my dreams and goals all crash before my eyes. Just the thought of failing to join USC depressed me. But just like Edison, I realized that it was not time for self-pity and giving up. I went back to studying with a determination that until then, I had not known what I possessed. Due to my extra effort and determination, I improved a lot. I have promised myself that if I get a chance at USC, there will be no turning back. I have vowed to work tirelessly to achieve my dreams and aspirations. It is my dream to see the field of engineering improve and if I get this change I will make this dream a reality. USC is a great institution and deserves people who believe in raising its standards. I am a believer in this and will not let the college down. I have learnt to turn my failures into learning experiences.

This is because after failing, I went back and evaluated the possible reasons for the failure, and worked into facing those problems and working hard to solve them. I realized that success comes through persisting (Hargadon and Douglas, p.6). I also came to understand that the greatest factor that can prevent someone from achieving hisher goals in life is procrastination. When you know what plans and goals you have for your life and the ways of achieving them, the best time to achieve them is now (Hargadon and Douglas, p.23). You should never put them off for another day because you might never do it (Hargadon and Douglas, p.6). I have leant to never let failure stand between me and my success, no matter what.

As Thomas Edison proves, it is from failure that we have the room to improve. Improvement comes from a low point to a higher point.  For such improvement to take effect, in addition to self-motivation and hard work, there is need to work in a proper environment and with focused mentors. USC is the right place for this to happen. I believe just like Edison that despite all the discarded theories, all I need is a chance to work harder and be successful. Without getting the chance, all the motivation I possess will not have a chance to bear fruits. I believe in my abilities and just like Edison, it is time to press forward and transform all my dreams into a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment