Monday, December 23, 2013

Benjamin Franklin established the Union Fire Company, the Library Company of Philadelphia, the American Philosophical Society, Pennsylvania Hospital, and, of course, the charity school that evolved into the University of Pennsylvania. As they served the larger community of Philadelphia, each institution in turn formed its own community.

Which of the academic communities and social communities that now comprise the University of Pennsylvania are most interesting to you and how will you contribute to them and to the larger Penn community

I would like to commence my essay with duly agreeing to the motto on the gate of University of Pennsylvania which states Inveniemus viam aut faciemus, meaning we will find a way or we will make one. These lines really mean a lot at Penn and these lines are well supported as all are aware that Penn has produced a lot of students who are now in top positions in myriad of private co-operations and government offices worldwide.  I am happy to add that one of my cousins, Elaine Chung, is a post-doctoral fellow at Penn. Her dedication towards the work in B cell neoplasms earned her a prestigious grant from The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Her diligence fits well with the aforementioned motto, thus, she has been my role model and had supported my enthusiasm towards pursuing a program at Penn. I am also aiming towards getting my professional pursuit honed by your prestigious university. Apart from studies, I feel that I can experience and share diversified cultures with other students from all over the world.

I am interested in studying system engineering and I am most attracted towards the academic society of Penn, which is one of the most research oriented institutions. It holds 165 research centers and institutes, and harbors great funding support for research projects. Moreover, I have heard that lectures at Penn not only concentrate on theoretical knowledge, but also provide hands on experience in terms of real-time project activities and applications. I am confident that this would help me to flourish my career as a system engineer.
Mr. Benjamin Franklin started the Penn University with the main motive of benefiting the future of America and mankind by enriching knowledge to the budding students. If I become a Penn student, I would surely join the Kite and Key Society, because I believe that helping others is where the true joy of living embeds and my dream is to contribute something useful back to the society. I have heard a lot about the Ronald McDonald House program and I would be grateful and proud to participate in it and provide my volunteer services to the needy. I believe I can fit in the program perfectly. Since I have participated in my groups annual trips to Huai Ji, China for the past three years, my initial duty was to converse and supervise games amongst poverty-stricken Chinese children. In 2008 and 2009, I was appointed to be one of the treasurers for the group. By using basic planning method and mathematic skills I have learnt, we did a great job in minimizing the trip cost by about 25 compared to the previous year. And this achievement has bolstered my desire to be a System Engineer.

Furthermore, I have already involved myself in many other community services in USA as well as Hong Kong for more than 3 years. So, as far as my contribution towards Penn is concerned, I am confident that I would be surely able to contribute towards Penn Community. Once I graduate and secured my career as a Managing Analyst, my plan is to raise a fund to aid towards the Penn enthusiasts in high school across the nation. This would enable those with the pertinent interest to develop their potential by joining one of the greatest schools of the world.

I have always balanced my time efficiently between studies and community services. I am a Hong Kong international student currently studying in Vincennes University. I have secured a GPA of 4.0 in pre-engineering major and I have received several scholarships, awards and honors during my studies. I have received 16000USD scholarships each year since 2008 for my academic excellence in Science and Mathematics. Also, I was honored by the Michigan Governor for my outstanding academic performance in 2008. For this, I am prepared to involve myself with the Penn and I would assure you that I would prove to be an asset of Penn towards academic as well as social community.

No comments:

Post a Comment